Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sore Knee Snowboarding

THE Aspern Papers - Henry James


[...] While the flowers continued to arrive I had never thanked, but had departed from his habit to send me to call as soon as she began to fear that they could not get more . I noticed, remembered as rapacious propensities had shown when it came to extort money, and I rejoiced in the depths of the happy idea that I had had in suspending the tax. He had missed and wanted to make concessions to retrieve it. At the first sign of such concessions could not meet her.
"I fear that ultimately did not take that many, but will resume soon - tomorrow evening."
"Oh, a bit mandatecene 'tonight!" said Miss Tita, as if it were a case of immense importance.
"What else should you do with it? Is not a manly style, transform your room into a bower," observed the old.
"I turned my room into a bower, but I love excessively grow them, observe their life. There is nothing unmanly in that: it was the fun of philosophers, statesmen have retired, I think even the great captains."
"I suppose you know that can be sold - the ones you do not need - continued Miss Bordereau -. I dare say that you would pay them a lot, but it would still be a bargain. "
" Oh, I have no business ever made, as you should know. It 's my gardener has, and I do not do requests. "
" But I'd do it some, I assure you, "said Miss Bordereau, and it was the first time I heard her laugh. I could not get used to' idea that what is most excited by the divine Juliana had this vision of a pecuniary profit.
"Come into the garden to pick them up yourself, and come as often as you want, and come every day. I'm all for you, "incalzai, addressing myself to Miss Tita and facilitating the way for such a true statement with treating it as an innocent joke. "I do not see why not", I added, for use by Miss Bordereau.
"Are you having her come, you should come to pick her up - said the old woman, to my amazement -. The strange thing that you have built in the corner, should the magnificently to sit."
The allusion to the arbor was irreverent and confirmed the impression that I already had, that there was any spark of impertinence in Miss Bordereau speech, a strange mocking spirit that must have been part of his adventurous youth and which had survived in power and passions. Nevertheless, I asked, "Do not be possible to come down yourself?" There had better sit up in the shade, with this air so sweet? "
" Oh, sir, when I get out of here I will not be starmene for sitting outdoors, and I fear that I will move around will not be particularly sweet! It will be very dense shadow. But it's not time yet, "continued Miss Bordereau, mischievously, as if to rectify the hopes that this courageous allusion to the last receptacle of her mortality might induced to feed me." I've been sitting here for several days I've had and arbors enough in my day. But I'm not afraid to wait for my call ".[...]

from "The Aspern Papers," Henry James, Ed pocket Marsilio, 1998, pp. 67-68.


0 comments:

Post a Comment