Sunday, February 27, 2011

What Could Be Abnormal In A Mammogram

FRANKENSTEIN - Mary Shelley


[...] "My heart was beating fast: it was time test, which would have confirmed my hopes or fears as to my body. The servants had gone to a fair nearby. All was silent in and around the house, was an excellent opportunity, but while I was going to execute my plan, my legs were not and I fell to the ground. I got up again, and, gathering all the strength of will I could muster, removed the planks which I had placed on the front of the shed to hide my refuge. The fresh air revived me, and with renewed determination I approached the door of the house.
"I knocked." Who, "asked the old man." Revenue. "
" Join. "Forgive the intrusion," I said, "I am a traveler who needs a little 'rest, and I would do a great kindness if I permetteste to stay for a few minutes before the fire."
"" Come, "said De Lacey," and I will try to meet and exceed your needs, but unfortunately, my children are not at home, and I'm blind, so I'm afraid that I will be hard to get some food. "
" "Do not worry , my good host. I have food; is one of warmth and rest I need. "
" I sat down, and there was a brief silence. I knew that every minute was precious, but I was unsure how to begin the conversation, when the old man turned.
"" From the way you speak, stranger, I suppose you are my countryman: Are you French? "
" "No, but I was educated by a French family, and I only speak the language. I am going to apply for protection of some friends who I love sincerely and in whose favor I have some hope. "
"" I'm German? "
" "No, I'm French. But change the subject. I am a lonely and unhappy: I look around, and I have the world or a friend or a relative. Benign from which these people I'm going I have never seen and know little of me. I am full of fears, because if I fail with them, I will always be an outcast in the world. "
" "Do not despair. Being without friends is really unfortunate, but the hearts of men, when it is taken by obvious self-interest, is full of charity and brotherly love.
Trust your hopes so, and if these friends are good and kind, do not despair. "
"" They are friendly - they are the best creatures of this world, but unfortunately are prejudiced against me. I am of good character, and my life so far has been without fault and, in some way beneficial, but a fatal injury sail their eyes, and while they should see a friend sincere and kind, they see only a detestable monster. "
" "This is really a shame, but if you are really blameless, can not open their eyes?"
"" I'm going to do, and that is why I feel so full of fear. I love those friends dearly, and for many months, every day, without revealing, I did them the kindness, but believe that I want to hurt them, and I wish to dispel this prejudice. "
" "Where do they live these friends?"
"" Near here. "
" The old man paused, then continued: "If you want to confide fully the details of your story, maybe I can be useful in the Enlightenment. I'm blind and I can not judge you by your appearance, but there is something in your words that makes me believe that you are sincere. I am poor and in exile, but give me real pleasure to be somewhat helpful to a human creature. "
" "Super Man! I thank you and accept your generous offer. You raised me from the dust with your goodness, it is I am confident that with your help I will not be driven by the company and affection of your fellow man. "
"What heaven forbid! even if you were really a criminal, because this could only lead to despair, and does not lead to virtue. I am unlucky: I and my family even though we were convicted innocent judged so if I do not feel compassion for your misfortunes. "
" "How can I thank you, my excellent and only benefactor? E 'from your lips I feel for the first time words of kindness towards me, I shall be grateful forever, and that your sense of humanity assures me of success with those friends I am going to meet. "
"" I know the names of these friends and where they live? "
" I paused. This, I thought, was the decisive moment, which was to me or to deprive me of happiness always. In vain I struggled to stay calm and respond in a firm voice, but the effort deprived me of all the energy I had left, I gave up on a chair, and burst into sobs. At that moment I heard the steps of my younger protectors. I had no time to lose, I grabbed the hand of the old man, and shouted: "This is the time! Save me and protect me! You and your family are the friends you seek. Do not abandon me at the time of the test!"
"" Great heavens, "said the old" who are you? "
" At that moment the door of the shed opened, and Felix, Safie, and Agatha entered. Who can describe their horror and dismay when they saw me? Agatha fainted, and Safie, unable to rescue her friend and ran out. Felix darted forward and grabbed me with superhuman strength from the knees of his father who kept hugging, and in a fit of rage threw me to the ground and struck me violently with a stick. I could do it in pieces, like the lion ravening the antelope. But the heart failed me as a violent illness, and I refrained. I saw it was about to strike again, when, overcome by sorrow and grief, and I left the house without anyone noticing, in the general confusion, I took refuge in my shed ."[...]

From "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, Ed Oscar Mondadori, 1982, pp. 147-149.

0 comments:

Post a Comment